Monday, July 11, 2016

God is great; root beer is good. And people are crazy.

This week was full of hard work and lots of prayer. As you know, last
week we started off on Fourth of July. It was such a great day
especially here where the military and members of the army are all
over the place. The fireworks were crazy! The laws are very different
here on restrictions on fireworks… Wait what restrictions? People were
lighting off fireworks all night long. It was really cool because we
had to be inside at 8 o'clock but we were able to see a lot of
fireworks because people were lighting them off around our apartment.

The next day, Rachel's birthday, we biked around a lot. We went and
visited some of the members in an area about 6 miles away from the
apartment. One of the families we visited is moving to Hawaii!! They
will be lifting at the Schofield barracks for the next three years if
not longer. (I'll visit them when I get back really great family)

That night a HUGE STORM came through. Like this storm was one of, if
not the biggest storm I have ever been in in my life. The thunder woke
me up at 1:30 and didn't let me fall asleep until 4:00. It was so cool
to see the constant lightning allllllll around me! It did start to get
annoying around 2:30 because I just wanted to sleep.... But yeah.
There were 3 big storms this week (including a tornado warning green
skies... #sketchcity) but none came close to that first one.

One of my highlights of the week was on friday! I FINALLY GOT TO MEET
PRESIDENT STONE AND HIS FAMILY!!!! Oh my gosh I already love them so
much. When they walked in, my heart kept pounding because I just
wanted to get up there and talk to them. Sis. Stone and I made eye
contact for the first time and I could tell she knew exactly who I
was. When the meeting ended, all of the missionaries went to go shake
their hand in the foyer. When I went up, they didn't even look at my
name tag. Hahah the first thing Sis. Stone said to me was "Elder
Maxfield! We LOVE sweet Anne!" We then proceeded to talk for a little,
while holding up the line of other elders and sisters waiting to meet
them. I just can't wait to talk to them more. Another thing that they
said was that anything that the Johnny Dalton and his wife said isn't
true. 😂😂

Mom Edit - Anne is one of Reese's best friends from Hawaii. She grew up in the same stake as Pres. Stone.  
Johnny Dalton and Doug (Reese's Dad) were on the same mission together. Doug was Johnny's trainer (first mission companion).  Johnny later went on to go to school with Pres Stone.  


The other, really spiritual part of my week was Saturday. On
Saturday morning, during elder Jessop and my comp Study, we wanted to
practice tracting approaches. Elder Jessop found a scripture real fast
and shared it. What the goal was, was to work on different approaches
for us to do when we knock on a door. When tracting, we Kinda get into
a set of certain words that we use all the time. My goal was to use
different words. So, when I was trying to figure out what I wanted to
say during this practice, I couldn't think of anything! We sat there
for about 15 minutes waiting for me to figure out what to say. I
eventually pulled out a scripture that I had looked at the day before.
Alma 34:32 tells us what the purpose of this life is. It says

"For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God;
yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their
labors."
This tells us simply what our goal in life should be. But no matter
what this is the purpose of our life. Later that day we were out going
to knock on doors. Elder Jessop knocked on the first door. No one
answered that door. My turn was up. I went up to the door wanting to
use what I had studied earlier that day in Alma. I knocked on the
door, a lady opened and I introduced who we were. I then proceeded to
ask her what she thought the purpose of this life was. She responded
saying that she had been wondering that for the past little while. I
then proceeded to read that scripture to her. She loved it! She wanted
to hear more and learn more about what we had to say. We then talked
to her and talk her the first lesson. We will be going back there on
Saturday. I cannot believe that the exact thing that I had studied
that morning was the exact thing that this lady needed to hear.


Well, that's my week! I know that God loves us all. He will bless us
as we come closer to him. I promise he will.

Love
Elder Reese Maxfield




Helped make desert for Sis. Beck this week.

AYO!!


Sis. Beck, Taniesha, Elder Jessop. I showed them this trick that Hannah showed me at school. Remember dat? Ayo

No comments:

Post a Comment